This documentation describes the Visual Studio extension for Snyk Open Source.
- Windows OS
- Supported versions of Visual Studio: 2015, 2017, 2019. Compatible with Community and Professional.
Installing the extension
You can install the Snyk extension directly from Visual Studio:
- Open Extensions > Manage Extensions:
- Search for Snyk:
- Click Download to download the Snyk extension.
- To enable the extension, select View > Other Windows > Snyk to open the Snyk tool window:
- After the tool window appears, wait as the Snyk extension downloads the latest Snyk CLI version:
- Open Visual Studio Options... to go to the General Settings of the Snyk extension:
- To authenticate automatically, click Authenticate.
(If automatic authentication does not work, enter the user API token manually.)
- You are taken to the Snyk website to verify your identity and connect the IDE extension (the IDE uses the Snyk CLI underneath, that’s why you see the CLI authentication).
Click the Authenticate button:
- After authentication is confirmed, close the browser and go back to the IDE extension. The Token field is now populated with the authentication token, finishing authentication:
Using the extension
Running Snyk scan
Open your solution, then click run scan to run a Snyk scan:
When the scan completes, the results appear in the Snyk window:
You can filter vulnerabilities by name or by severity.
- Filter by name by typing the name of the vulnerability in the search bar:
- Filter by severity by selecting one or more of the the severities when you open the search bar filter.
Configure Snyk extension (Project settings)
The Scan all projects option is enabled by default. It adds the --all-projects option for Snyk CLI, scanning all projects by default: